Professor at Emerson College
B.A. Evergreen State College
M.F.A. Temple University
Graduate Certificate Temple University
Ph.D. Temple University
Kathryn Ramey is a filmmaker and anthropologist whose work operates at the intersection of experimental film processes and ethnographic research. Her award winning and strongly personal films are characterized by manipulation of the celluloid including hand-processing, optical printing, and various direct animation techniques.
Her scholarly interest is focused on the social history of the Avant-Garde film community, the anthropology of visual communication and the intersection between avant-garde and ethnographic film and art practices. She has been the recipient of numerous awards and fellowships including the Social Science Research Council on the Arts fellowship, the LEF New England moving Image Grant and the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts Fellowship. She has published articles in Visual Anthropology Review and The Independent as well as the anthology Women’s Experimental Cinema and Made to Be Seen. Her films have screened at multiple film festivals and other venues including the Toronto Film Festival, MadCat Women’s Film Festival, Ann Arbor Film festival, L’Alternativa Barcelona, 25fps Experimental Film Festival in Zagreb, Croatia and the National Museum of Women in the Arts in Washington DC.
- 2015 – Experimental Filmmaking: BREAK THE MACHINE, focal press, 2016.
- 2013 – Massachusetts Cultural Council Artist grant finalist
- 2011 – Faculty Advancement Fund Grant, Emerson College- post-production on WEST: What I know about her
- 2008 – Huret Grant, for Production work on for Yanqui WALKER and the OPTICAL REVOLUTION
- 2007 – LEF New England, Moving Image Fund, Grant -Preproduction for Yanqui WALKER and the OPTICAL REVOLUTION
- 2007 – Faculty Advancement Fund Grant, Emerson College for Yanqui WALKER and the OPTICAL REVOLUTION
Awards & Honors
- 2014 – Jury’s Choice Selection (1st prize), Black Maria Film + Video Festival, for WEST: What I know about her
- 2013 – Grand Champion, Haverhill Experimental film festival, Haverhill, MA for WEST: What I know about her
- 2012 – Jury prize, 14th annual Paris Festival of Cinema Experimental and Different, for WEST: What I know about her
- 2010 – Jury’s Choice Selection (1st prize), Black Maria Film +